NULAI Nigeria Center for Clinical Legal Education is an online interactive virtual classroom that facilitates capacity development and technical support to law faculties integrating or developing clinical law programmes.
This is achieved through a learning environment designed to expose learners and law teachers to extensive opportunities of the global movement of clinical legal education, interactive teaching methods, assessment methods, and curriculum development.
Categories of Online Courses:
Global Clinical Legal Education Movement – Free
Clinical Law Practice
Enroll for Courses (Complete & Submit Application form)
Customized Clinical Legal Education Trainings
NULAI Nigeria facilitates capacity development and technical support to law faculties integrating or developing clinical law programmes. This is achieved through training workshops designed to expose law teachers to interactive teaching methods, assessment methods, and curriculum development. Training programmes are either carried out onsite at law faculties or provided through workshops organized by NULAI and include the following:
Clinical Legal Education and Law Clinic Management: The clinical legal education and law clinic management training is divided into two parts: an introductory workshop for law teachers and law faculties at the initial phase of integrating/adopting a clinical law programme; and subsequent in-depth/refresher training. The trainings enable law teachers to:
- Identify the necessary lawyering skills required to work in a clinic;
- Identify appropriate interactive teaching methods for training of law students;
- Develop outcome based lessons and activities;
- Substitute clinical legal education for traditional law curriculum;
- Design a Clinical legal education based law curriculum;
- And identify assessment methods and supervision techniques.
Ethics in Clinical Practice for Law Clinics: The ethics in clinical practice training is designed to enable law teachers and law clinic supervisors:
- Develop a body of ethics, standards and methods for the management of clinical processes and clients;
- Expose clinic teachers and supervisors to ethical issues relating to law clinic practice thereby preparing them, and by extension their students, to recognize and effectively manage potential ethical challenges in the course of their practice.
Prison Pre-trial Detainee Law Clinics: The prison pre-trial detainee training for law clinics is designed to:
- Develop the capacity of law teachers and clinic supervisors to train and supervise law students to deliver effective services at prisons, police cells and other detention centres;
- Develop a prison/pre-trial detention curriculum and lesson plan;
- And practice facilitative learning and supervision of students in a prison/pre-trial detention law clinic.
Streetlaw Trainings for Law Clinics: The streetlaw trainings are designed to effectively equip law teachers to train law students engaging communities to: develop adequate lesson plans and methodologies for local communities on different aspects of the law, access to justice and social justice issues.
StreetLaw for Child Rights and Child Trafficking: This is aimed at training law teachers and clinic supervisors to develop a child rights and child trafficking street-law curriculum and interactive lesson plans for use in child rights and child trafficking streetlaw programmes.
Freedom of Information (FoI) streetlaw teacher training for law teachers and clinic heads: The Freedom of Information training is designed to facilitate law teachers discussion of the FoI Act and:
- Review its utilization in law clinic practice;
- Discuss the scope of FoI issues and projects to be covered in law clinic streetlaw lessons and the best methods for delivery;
- Develop tools, case studies and templates for training students and local communities
Clinical Legal Education Resources
Curriculum and training resources developed and published by NULAI include the following:
(Handbook on Prison Pre-trial Detainee Law Clinic (ISBN 978-978-932-354-8) provides substantive reading material for law teachers, law students and other persons working in a Prison Pre-trial Detainee Law Clinic or other criminal justice, human rights and access to justice projects and programmes in Nigeria.
(Manual on Prison Pre-trial Detainee Law Clinic (978-978-932-364-7), provides a guide to law teachers and law students working in a Prison Pre-trial Detainee Law Clinic or other criminal justice, human rights and access to justice projects and programmes in Nigeria.